An Awesome July

21 Comments
Last month has been quite an adventure for me, and shutter therapy sessions have taken some unexpected turns. Instead of just attacking the KL streets on lazy weekends, I went out of KL, spending a weekend earlier in the month in Penang and then just two weeks ago, in Fraser's Hill. I have successfully, to my surprise put aside all the usual, frequently favored prime lenses and went on zoom shooting spree. In Penang I armed myself with the M.Zuiko 12-40mm F2.8 PRO, a lens which has become the staple lens for many professional photographers and serious hobbyists that I know personally. Then in Fraser's Hill I shot exclusively with the M.Zuiko 75-300mm F4.8-6.7 II which I rarely used. More importantly, I have dared myself to take the challenge of using 35mm focal length street photography, acquiring an old, used Fuji X100 just for that task. 

It has been an interesting, long month, and it felt great to be able to be this active in shooting again. 

I think I deserve an over-priced cup of coffee. 

Shot with M.Zuiko 14-42mm EZ pancake lens. Who says the kit lens can't do good photos? ok ok I admit I am getting addicted to coffee

I want to, believe me, to shoot as much as possible, to try out as many gear, and challenge myself to go further, pushing myself outside the boundaries. I have that desire to just shoot and shoot and I don't care if the images are not competition or exhibition gallery worthy. I just simply enjoy doing what I do and it has become an obsession. 

I am not sure if I will be able to keep up with this momentum. The country, my beloved Malaysia, is falling apart. I am not joking. If you are in Malaysia you will be fully aware of all the current news which bore nothing optimistic. I do not know what kind of news you get outside of Malaysia, but it is perhaps not the safest time, especially on the streets. There will be a huge protest rally happening on 29th to 30th August, with expected turnout of hundreds of thousands of Malaysians, and things can get ugly. And it is a sad fact that I must stop talking about the political scenario of the country as well as anything related to the government here, else I will find myself in jail. You can guess it right, there is no freedom of speech in Malaysia. If you need to find out more Google will be your good friend. 

Some of you may suggest that it would be an opportunity: shoot that protest, photo journalistic style. That idea did cross my mind but I must admit that I am no photojournalist and I do not pretend to be one. I am an engineer by training and safety has always been the priority in all my decision making. 

I will still go out and shoot of course, nothing can stop me, but I will be more selective and careful of the places I go to. One of the best solution would be travelling outside of the city, but I cannot afford going on such trips too often. 

Meanwhile, if there are not much updates happening here in the month of August, you have the following blog entries to munch on:

Fraser's Hill Bird shooting with M.Zuiko 75-300mm II

Robin Wong's OM-D Camera Cheat Sheet 

Penang Street Shooting with M.Zuiko 12-40mm F2.8 PRO

Quick Test of the M.Zuiko 14-150mm II

And my Fuji X100 adventures here, here and here.




21 comments:

  1. Is that a flat white or a cappuccino?

    I have the same thoughts as you, Robin, about the possibility of photojournalism. I'm leaving Malaysia at the end of September anyway, so it might be worth the "risk" for me to cover the street rallies. I'll be using my older, cheaper E-P3 and kit lenses, though - just in case!

    Scott

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are leaving so soon? Wow! We must catch up then before you leave.

      That was a flat white. Then again in Malaysia I don't think they get all the coffee right. It could have been more of a cappuccino.

      Delete
    2. I've found the flat whites here to be pretty good, actually.

      Yeah, it would be great to do another photo session. Are you planning any photo walks in the next month or two?

      S

      Delete
    3. Just come to KL and I will make time for you!

      Delete
  2. So sad hear about the times in your country and hope that things will get better. I have never been to Malaysia but have always wanted to see the wonderful sights and countryside that I have seen on tv so many times. I hope things do get better over there, but you are wise to safe and out of jail. Look after yourself and your family

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David for the wise words. Indeed, will try my best to stay safe

      Delete
  3. Keep blogging. Always interesting

    ReplyDelete
  4. Malaysia is a wonderful country, with lots and lots of very nice and friendly people. I love it. Still I know that the word "amok", or the meaning of "running amok" are Malay words, so I guess I know what you mean.

    No comments on the political system and caste; they're not worth it - at least not ours (I'm German).

    Stay safe, and keep taking your wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wolfgang for the kind words!! Indeed, staying safe is important!

      Delete
  5. Robin I hope you, your family and frieds all stay safe, the situation doesn't sound very good

    ReplyDelete
  6. From here in Australia you would never know there was a problem. Stay safe Robin and don't sweat the coffee addiction just enjoy it! (my wife and I run a small cafe, I could be biased)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Larry! Which part of Australia are you in? I must visit your cafe if I ever go to Australia.

      Delete
    2. The beautiful Coffs Harbour on the mid north coast of NSW. There is a free flat white waiting with your name on it.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Larry! I have spent a few years in Western Australia. I miss Australia greatly. Sometimes I have dreams I am still there!

      Delete
    4. I'm sure Olympus Australia could use a good engineer!

      Delete
  7. Hey Robin !

    Hopefully you can shoot as usually. Here in Europe the situation is not as nice as it used to be. Basic human rights are still OK but it's slowly changing (atleast under the cover).
    The world is changing ...

    Greetings from Czech Republic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed the world is changing. I will always prioritize safety. Thanks!

      Delete
  8. I don't often leave comments but please know that your shutter therapy sessions are just as much therapy for your views as for you! Stay safe my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliments. Do leave a name though so I will remember if you do comment again.

      Delete